Learner Driver Tips
Driving School Melbourne's free advice and tips for learner drivers.
Do see our new youtube series of videos on how to pass Vicroads Tests.
According to Victorian Police, newly licenced probationary drivers are almost four times more likely to be involved in a serious or fatal crash than properly trained and experienced drivers.
Reasons include: overall lack of driving experience, underdeveloped road awareness / hazard perception skills, over confidence, alcohol, and peer pressure to show off.
Driving School Melbourne instructors offer these tips to learner and probationary licenced drivers to maximise their safety:
- Try to get as much driving experience / driving lessons with a professional and reputable driving school. Supplement this where possible with an experienced fully licenced driver who you can trust to supervise you competently. VicRoads recommends you get at least 120 hours on‐road experience before applying for your driver’s licence
- Minimise distractions such as music, mobile phones, friends,etc
- Choose a safe car that you are comfortable with
- Keep a safe distance between you and other cars
- Keep to the speed limit, which will allow you plenty of time to react and stop in case of an emergency
- Maintain concentration and awareness of the road and other users, so you can anticipate and react to any hazards that may arise
At Driving School Melbourne our driving instructors are committed and passionate about creating safer drivers. Of course our aim is for you to obtain your Victorian driver’s licence, however, our focus is to ensure that you are also a safe, skilled, knowledgable, responsible and competent driver. This is where we stand out from other driving schools. We sincerely care about all our learner drivers and we are dedicated to creating safer roads for all Victorian drivers.
If you are a learner driver or you are a parent or relative seeking professional driving lessons for a loved one, please feel free to book with one of our professional and caring instructors at Driving School Melbourne.
Call us on 0414 771 101.