Probationary Licence & Driving Test
People under the age of 21 years, applying for a probationary licence
- Must hold a learner permit for a minimum of 12 months
- Must obtain a minimum of 120 hours on road supervised learner driving experience
- Must go on to a minimum one year P1 licence (Red P Plate), followed by a minimum three years P2 licence (Green P Plate)
People aged from 21 years to under 25 years
- Required to hold their learner permit for a minimum of six months and then go directly on to a minimum three years P2 licence.
People aged 25 years and over
- Required to hold their learner permit for a minimum of three months and then go directly on to a minimum three years P2 Licence.
- The drive test is an on road drive test
- The practical drive test is conducted after you have passed your hazard perception test. During the test, you will have your Driving School Melbourne instructor accompany you, whilst the Vicroads tester sits in the back seat. You will drive for between 30 to 50 minutes around a pre-determined drive test route near the Vicroads office.
The driving test is split into three Sections:
- Pre-drive check
- Residential driving and low speed manoeuvre
- Busy multiple lane roads and more complex situations
To apply for your licence in Victoria you must be at least 18 years of age and have held your learner permit for a minimum period of time.
There are three steps involved in passing your licence test. You must pass:
- An eyesight test
- A hazard perception test
- A practical driving test
It is recommended that while you are on your learner permit you complete at least 120 hours of driving in all conditions to prepare you for your test and to be a safer driver on our roads.
If you pass your drive test, you will be issued with a probationary drivers licence, which is valid for three years. During this time you will have certain restrictions imposed on you.
Once you have held your probationary licence for the appropriate amount of time, you will progress to a full licence without the need to do any further tests